Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Christchurch rebuild (Tom McRae, live cross)
2. Nelson clean up (Matt McLean)
3. Occupy Dunedin protesters leave Octagen
4. Peter Kirker case (Simon Bradwell)
5. Preliminary report on Helicopter crash in Viaduct
1. Christchurch rebuild (Julliet Speedy, live cross)
2. Christchurch City CEO $70,000 payrise (Jessica Rowe)
3. Preliminary report on Helicopter crash in Viaduct (Adam Hollingworth)
4. Nelson clean up (Charlotte Shipman)
5. Case of woman buried alive (Melissa Davies)
Christchurch led both bulietins tonight with the rebuild effort going to take 3 years. Good news if you’re at the top of the list but not so good if you’ll be waiting for your house to be fixed for another 2 years or more.
Christchurch City Council CEO Tony Marryatt has received a 14% bonus taking his salary to over half a million dollars which has upset residents in parts of Christchurch that are still suffering from the earthquake. Many are wondering if the money couldn’t have been better spent. It certainly raises some interesting questions around social responsibility and whether the extra work load that the earthquake has produced justifies the payrise.
The case of the woman buried alive in the UK didn’t seem to be the 5th most important story of the day though.
And while the Helicopter crash report was only preliminary, based on what we’ve seen from the images, does anyone actually believe that the guy who yanked on the cable wasn’t actually responsible for it?