Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Rena breaks apart (Renee Graham, live cross)
2. Rena timeline (Joanna Hunkin)
3. Hot air balloon crash (Rawden Christie/Sarah Batley, live cross)
4. Hot air balloon crash victims (Simon Bradwell)
5. Hot air balloon crash victims (Ruth Wynn-Williams)
1. Rena breaks apart (Jono Hutchison, live cross)
2. Rena breaks apart (Jankia Ter Ellen)
3. Rena breaks apart (Ashlee Tulloch)
4. Hot air balloon crash (Simon Shepherd, live cross)
5. Hot air balloon crash victims (Adam Hollingworth)
The event the media has been salivating over for the last 3 months has finally happened with the Rena succumbing to the sea and splitting in two. Neither networks had footage of the much touted event taking place though and only had footage of the afternath.
3 News dedicated 3 stories to it before breaking to the other news of the day while One News had two, with the second being filed, strangely, by their entertainment reporter.
Sarah Batley’s live cross to the cordon outside the hot air balloon crash site on One News was appalling as she desperately seemed to be hoping that a hearse carrying bodies would drive passed while she was on air.
You may be able to see behind me, the cordons are clear and we’re expecting a hearse to emerge any minute now from Sommerset Road, carrying the bodies of two more of the victims. Now last night, two bodies were removed from the scene and police have confirmed that they were the bodies of the two people who jumped out of the hot air balloon. But any moment now, we’re expecting a hearse to come out of Sommerset Road. We’ve actually just seen a procession of cars drive up the road, possible family members, who will then follow the hearse out.
After her story, Rawden asked what the next steps were in the investigation and again she looked back over her shoulder in the hopes that the hearse was going to be in shot.
Once all the bodies are removed, and you may be able to see behind me that police are currently in the process of doing that as we speak…
The hearse never appeared.