Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Super Rugby returns to Christchurch (Lorelei Mason, live cross)
2. Rugby League Park refit
3. CAA investigating Hot Air Balloon incident in Canterbury
4. Sir Paul Callaghan dies (Rebecca Edwards)
5. Annual student gathering in Dunedin (Megan Martin)
1. Kiwi jailed in Argentina (Allison Harvey)
2. Auckland rents rise (Amanda Gillies)
3. Trayvon Martin case (Adam Hollingworth)
4. Sir Paul Callaghan dies (Alex Bourne)
5. Super Rugby returns to Christchurch (Jim Kayes, live cross)
There were only 2 stories in common again tonight. One News lead with the build up to Super Rugby returning to Christchurch for the first time since the earthquakes. 3 News had it in fifth spot. The other story was the death of Sir Paul Callaghan, New Zealander of the Year in 2011. Both channels had the story in fourth place which was somewhat disappointing. When Jock Hobbs died earlier this month, both networks lead with the story. Considering he was named New Zealander of the Year last year, wasn’t his death more important than the return of professional football to Christchurch? What about a hot air ballooning incident where no one was hurt? The cost of renting property in Auckland? Or President Obama making a statement about a slain American teenager?
Perhaps the sentencing of Wellington woman Sharon Armstrong to 5 years in an Argentine prison for smuggling cocaine was a little more justified as a leading story on 3 News but it didn’t seem a priority at all based on what preceded it.