Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Christchurch earthquake (Daniel Faitaua, live cross)
2. Christchurch earthquake report
3. Violent assault in Napier
4. Teen drowns in waterfall
5. Tramper’s body recovered from Mt Aspiring National Park
1. Search underway for missing DoC worker on Kermadecs (Jerram Watts, live cross)
2. Christchurch earthquake (Annabelle Tukia, live cross)
3. Holiday traffic
4. Violent assault in Napier (Janika Ter Ellen)
5. Martial law to be lifted in Fiji (Jane Luscombe)
It almost feels as if TVNZ just don’t care about news over the holiday period. Once again, their top five was dominated by short stories delivered from the news readers with only one story being fronted by someone not on vacation.
3 News lead with the news that a member of a DoC team on Raoul Island in the Kermadecs has gone missing and a search is now underway.
There is now speculation that there could be a magnitude 7 quake on the way for Christchurch.
And as for the use of the term “earthquake swarm”, Wikipedia states
Earthquake swarms are one of the events typically preceding eruptions of volcanoes.