Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. CTV Building not up to standards (Lorelei Mason, live cross)
2. Gerry Brownlee apologises to Bob Parker for calling him a clown (Daniel Faitaua)
3. New Dotcom property seisure (Donna-Marie Lever)
4. Asian woman has elbow dislocated by police (Amy Kelley)
5. Electoral Commission rules against Radio Live’s Prime Minister’s hour (Jessica Mutch, live cross)
1. CTV Building not up to standards (Hamish Clark, live cross)
2. Christchurch death toll
3. Gerry Brownlee apologises to Bob Parker for calling him a clown (Annabelle Tukia)
4. Police retreat from permanent 4kph tolerance (Dan Parker)
5. Unemployment (Duncan Garner)
Did Wendy Petrie refer to Kim Dotcom as a “German Billionaire” tonight?
The decision on tonight’s verdict came down to the final story on One News. The electoral commission announced that it would be referring TV3’s sister company, Radio Live, to the police over the Prime Minister’s radio show that aired for an hour on the 30th of September, 2011, a little less than two months before the general election. However, what they failed to mention was that TVNZ’s One News themselves were also referred to the police.
TVNZ OneNews coverage before 7pm on 26 November 2011. It is the Electoral Commission’s view that the broadcast breached section 197(1)(g)(i) of the Electoral Act 1993 because it included statements that were likely to influence any elector as to the party for whom the elector should or should not vote.
3 News also provided clarification on their shark attack story from the previous night that the moving pictures of the shark cage were actually from a different operator.