Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Preliminary report on Air Balloon crash (Daniel Faitaua)
2. POAL Strike (Stephen Smith, live cross)
3. Port of Tauranga profit up 22%
4. ALP leadership drama (Steve Marshall, live cross)
5. 305 jobs set to go at MFAT (Jessica Mutch)
1. ALP leadership drama (Samantha Hayes, live cross)
2. Paul Henry’s early debut in Australia (Amanda Gillies)
3. National appeases Maori asset sales concerns (Duncan Garner, live cross)
4. 305 jobs set to go at MFAT (Tova O’Brien)
5. McCully’s emails (Patrick Gower)
The preliminary report for the Air Balloon crash that happened in January lead One News tonight but was outside the top 5 on 3 News.
The Australian Labor Party drama and the resignation of Kevin Rudd from his foreign affairs ministerial position lead 3 News which was the perfect segue into some PR for Paul Henry’s new role on Australian TV.
Duncan Garner’s story that the National Party has come to an agreement with the Maori Party over asset sales is one that has bothered me from the start. To me, it seemed as though it was nothing more than another publicity stunt, much like the “We’re going to mine on Great Barrier” was. Were National and the Maori Party ever not going to come to an agreement? Garner made the comment:
“This didn’t need to become a messy public fight”.
The problem with that statement is that the messiness of it all appeared to be manufactured news while the actual negotiations that were going on behind closed doors now appear to have delivered the inevitable outcome.