Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Urewera Four trial (Donna-Marie Lever, live cross)
2. Air New Zealand flight from Japan quarantined (Stephen Smith)
3. Future plans for Auckland City (Jessica Mutch)
4. Grammy Awards (Jack Tame, live cross)
5. Whitney Houston (Cecilia Vega, ABC)
1. Air New Zealand flight from Japan quarantined (Amanda Gillies)
2. Mondayisation of public holidays (Patrick Gower, live cross)
3. Urewera Four trial (Jane Luscombe, live cross)
4. David Garrett pleads guilty to drink driving charge
5. Calrification regarding last night’s taxi story
The Air New Zealand flight quarantine coverage has bothered me all day. Once the health officials declared they had over reacted, it was inevitable that fingers would be pointed. It seems apparent that as a country we are rather unprepared for catastrophe. Even if the response was an over-reation, media reports suggest that it took far too long to respond to even with the 2 hour advanced warning prior to the plane’s landing. I’m unsure whether to praise the networks for pointing that out or whether it’s an over-reaction by them to an unseen response team that was following protocols in the hopes of preventing a contagious outbreak.
Jack Tame is now in the US, it appears. Reporting from outside the emptying awards ceremony, Tame relived moments from the spectacle that, again this year, is not being broadcast in New Zealand.
The final story in the Top 5 on one was one of the ABC’s more polished turds. It was a tabloidish look at the last few days and events in Whitney Houston’s life, leading up to her death.
David Garrett’s day in court made the top 5 on 3 News. I’m beginning to wonder if only famous people get caught drink driving.
There was also clarification on last night’s Taxi story on 3 News. They wanted to assure us that no one in their story had actually used sex as a method of payment.