Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Crafar farms sale (Sarah Batley, live cross)
2. Crafar farms history
3. Water spouts in Auckland (Lacey Wilson, live cross)
4. Weather update (Jim Hickey, live cross)
5. Halfway mark for Christchurch CBD demolition (Lorelei Mason, live cross)
1. Crafar Farms sale (Tony Field, live cross)
2. Grace Holdings in liquidation, SFO investigation (Simon Shepherd)
3. Mojo Mathers inaugural speech in parliament (Tova O’Brien)
4. Leith Comer pays back Te Puni Kokiri money (Duncan Garner)
5. Sailor missing in Bay of Plenty
The most interesting point from tonight’s news was One News’ coverage of the water spouts in Auckland. The event, that happened hours earlier, eventuated with nothing happening after a couple of funnel clouds formed. A live cross to a calm looking Auckland Harbour where Lacey Wilson told everyone how the images and video footage of what was unfolding had flooded social media at the time. Peter Williams then reminded everyone that if you weren’t watching it as it happened, they had images on their website.
The admission that coverage was available elsewhere as it happened but now they have some stuff on their website is a little embarrassing isn’t it?
I’ve noticed that One News like to produce these background stories now for things like the Crafar farms, giving an overview of how things developed over time to get where they are. There is value in having these when the related story needs a bit of background but hasn’t the Crafar farms story been in the news and covered enough that everyone knows about the history?
3 News had the water spout further down the bulletin and instead, focused on another SFO investigation, the ongoing developments in Te Puni Kokiri’s spending and Mojo Mather’s parliamentary requirements.