Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Predictions of earthquakes in Canterbury for 30 years (Alison Pugh, live cross)
2. Salvors prepare Rena for weather (Renee Graham, live cross)
3. Ports of Auckland industrial dispute
4. New laws in Fiji (Barbara Dreaver, live cross)
5. Changes to US defence spending (Tim Wilson)
1. Christchurch earthquake (Annabelle Tukia)
2. Taranaki earthquake
3. Body of woman found in car in Christchurch (Jessica Rowe)
4. Hitler saved by priest as a child (David Farrier)
5. Summer weather(Jono Hutchison)
One News lead with an incredibly sensational story about the predicted fate of everyone living in Christchurch for the next three decades.
It’s the news no one in Christchurch wants to hear. Earthquakes might continue in the city and the Canterbury province for the next 30 years. GNS scientists made the prediction today.
What the GNS scientists actually said was
A 5 following this sequence is still very likely. Magnitude 3′s are likely to go on for several years. Magnitude 1′s and 2′s will go for [?] 30 years…
It’s hard to know what the context was around the comment either as it appeared to be an edited sound bite.
For all that fear mongering, how noticeable will those three decades of earthquakes be? According to the Modified Mercalli scale:
1′s. Very mild movement, only detectable by instruments.
2′s. Some people feel a slight movement, particularly on upper floors of buildings. Suspended objects such as chandeliers may swing.
Three decades of nothing significantly noticeable at all then. Based on the last 5 years, 1′s and 2′s aren’t that uncommon in Canterbury anyway.