Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Rena clean up (Kim Vinnell, live cross)
2. Wellington weather
3. Southland weather (Max Bania)
4. Bus crash on Saddle road (Matt McLean)
5. Central Otago crash
1. NIWA apologies for summer weather predictions (Emma Jolliff)
2. Pregnant woman assaulted in Rotorua (Tony Reid)
3. Plastic beads endangering wildlife in BoP (Jono Hutchison, live cross)
4. Labour concedes Waitakere and Christchurch central
5. American soldiers urinate of corpses (Michael Morrah)
There wasn’t really any news tonight regarding the Rena. It’s still a mess out there. Despite finding plastic beads on a beach, it doesn’t seem as though the number that have spilled from the container that had 17 tonnes of them is that many at all. Considering experts even stated that a bird would have to digest a lot of them before they became sick suggests that this isn’t anything other than another “nothing yet, but soon” story by both networks.
Nice to see NIWA apologising for getting the weather predictions for summer so wrong. It would have been fun landing in Wellington today by the looks of it.