Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Report confirms Rena shortcuts (Heather du Plessis-Allen)
2. Reaction to Rena report (Kim Vinnell, live cross)
3. Up close with the Christchurch Cathedral (Lisa Davies)
4. Inside look at Crown Plaza (Joy Reid)
5. Asset sales debated in parliament (Jessica Mutch)
1. Report confirms Rena shortcuts (Adam Ray, live cross)
2. Reaction to Rena report (Tony Reid, live cross)
3. James Hemana sentenced to life imprisonment (Amanda Gillies)
4. Defence force savings targets (Tova O’Brien)
5. Redundancies at Pike River
The preliminary report on the Rena disaster and reactions to it lead both bulletins. However, the interpretations by both networks were quite different.
Now they felt they’ve been dealt another blow. – Kim Vinnell, One News
The report that has come out today in Wellington doesn’t mean a lot for the people up here. – Tony Reid, 3 News
The moment I heard Kim make that statement I thought it was ridiculous and completely sensational. Thankfully Tony Reid had the same realistic approach. The report changes nothing. It just confirms what we had already assumed, that the crew of the Rena cut corners and ended up polluting the Bay of Plenty coastline and costing the country and businesses millions of dollars in the process.
One News then covered two stories on buildings in Christchurch. They used words which suggested they were exclusive. The reality was that access to the Cathedral was part of a media tour. 3 News also had the story much further down their bulletin and included an interview with Rebecca O’Sullivan, the camera operator who entered the Cathedral with Hamish Clark after the February quake, who was one of the last people to go inside.
The “Inside look” at the Crown Plaza demolition was also on 3 News who pointed out that the images of the demolition were actually shot by the demolition manager on his cell phone.
Fairly obvious which network was better tonight.