Here is a run down of the 5 most important stories on One News and 3 News tonight. Please leave your comments on the bulletins in the comments below.
1. Christchurch Cathedral to be deconstructed (Joy Reid, live cross)
2. Weather bomb (Amy Kelley, live cross)
3. Taupo Ironman cancelled (Charlotte Bellis, live cross)
4. Weather update (Karen Olsen, live cross)
5. Flooding in Australia
1. Otago Rugby Union gets 7 day reprieve (Dave Goosselink, live cross)
2. Christchurch Cathedral to be deconstructed (Jeff Hampton)
3. Tornado destroys church in Illinois
4. Farmers store in Rangiora closed
5. Weather bomb (Mike Hall)
The bell tolling for Christchurch’s Cathedral lead One News before it was all weather, weather, weather.
Amy Kelley’s story provided a reasonable amount of useful information for those who are likely to be caught up in the weather. The rest of the weather coverage could have been rolled into a single story.
3 News lead with rugby and Otago Rugby getting an extra 7 days to sort out their debt issues. The Christchurch Cathedral deconstruction segued into a large brick church in the USA that had stood for nearly 120 years before a tornado destroyed it overnight. The closure of Farmers in Rangiora is the latest casualty of buildings being deemed unsafe to operate in.
The weather bomb story was the first of two. The second, which was outside of the Top 5, could also have been seen as a promo for the TV3 sponsored Carnival at Ellerslie.